30 Squadron Memorials

Current State of Affairs (2009)


Peter Gregory had visited Maleme and reported that some minor maintenance was required.  Allen Clayton continues to look after the Memorial and has already arranged for the minor repairs to be done.  With the Crete ceremonies due in May, Allen is undertaking some re-planting and is expecting that the approaches will all be tidied by the Crete authorities.  Both 30 and 33 Sqns will be represented at the ceremonies along with a number of Association members.


The memorial has not, as expected, been adopted by the Commonwealth War Graves and John Barrass is hoping to visit Sri Lanka to make new arrangements.  A doctor in the Sri Lanka Air Force who has offered his help has contacted us.  Hopefully the troubles in the country may soon be over to allow the visit to go ahead.

Fairford/South Cerney

The memorial at South Cerney Church was showing the wear and tare from 2 years in the open air, so Matt and Roz Busby assisted by Laurie Ramage set to work to refurbish and protect the bench against the elements.  Roz also replanted the border with flowering heathers to provide colour throughout the year.  It is a very peaceful site and I would encourage you to pay a visit.  If you are lucky, you will have the odd Albert passing overhead.  I am also pleased to report that members of the family, who we had not been able to contact, have been in touch and have placed a wreath at the memorial, adding a further tribute to those who were sadly lost in the Fairford accident.


On 10 Sep 08, after a week of torrential rain, the Squadron, the Association and members of 30(F) Sqn ATC
went to the National Arboretum for the dedication of the new memorial.  30 Sqn is the first flying Squadron to place a memorial beneath the Armed Forces Memorial.  We attended a service of Remembrance in the Chapel, and then marched behind the Squadron Standard to the site of the Memorial for the dedication ceremony.  A C130J, flown by a 30 Sqn crew, paid its tribute with a flypast overhead as the final post was sounded.  It was another very moving day.  Alrewas is developing into a very special memorial site and again I would encourage everyone to visit.